Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Five Weeks?!??!

How can it be five weeks since I brought my sweet baby girl home? In that time, she's gained a pound (or more), while I've continue to steadfastly not lose any more.

Also she's breastfeeding really well, sleeping regularly, isn't crazy fussy, and even lets us get 4-5 hours of sleep at a time. Sometimes. When she feels like it.

She loves her big brother. I think...when she stares at him goggly eyed, and sticks her tongue in and out, that's love right?

And most days, HE loves HER. Kissing her, and telling her good morning and goodnight. And asking me (ALL DAY LONG), "Mama, where's Baby Rachel? What's Baby Rachel DOing? Oh, she's so lit-tle." And even shushing the dogs - and the neighbors' dogs - if they bark when she's sleeping.

Of course, there have been the times he's launched a sippy at her head, or whacked her with a Matchbox car. These things happen though with toddlers and new sibs. (Right???) Mostly that's been when he's been frustrated with ME, not out of straight jealous moments. You know when I won't give him what he wants. Which occurs any zillion number of times a day when I will not let him watch TV for the third hour in a row, or when I ask him to stop banging his airplane into the wall. Or when I, you know, ask him to Eat Food.

It can be stressful. That is for DARN SURE (read with slight note of hysteria). But overall, we seem to somehow be adjusting to this new powerful little force that arrived, literally, about 5 weeks ago to the minute.

Actually, I was probably mid push right about now, wondering if I was a wimp or if the nurses and doctor and Michael were crazy because, dude, I swear that epidural wore off before it even got started. Which reminds me, I still owe my blog her birth story. Maybe for week six ...

In the meantime, here's a recent one that pretty much embodies what I look at all day. This girl makes some FACES.

From 09-25-08


Also, from this past Saturday, Matthew enjoying the Grant's farm goats during our visit there when it was so beautiful out.
From 10-1-2008

He's came a long way from running scared into Aunt Kim's arms during a visit at this same time last year. Now he's giggling as they nibble him and is fact much more okay with his being eaten alive by baby goats than I am.

(And yes, somehow we managed this outdoors outing and lived to tell about it. I suspect we won't attempt such a feat again for while. NOT because we didn't have fun. Because it literally sapped every ounce of energy out of me to get them ready, out, enjoy the day, and get us home, and I'll be plugged into the wall recharging for months.)

Also this weekend, Baby Shane and Baby Amelia's double baptism made for a very special Sunday.I was a little more on the ball with Baby Amelia's (and Kim and Mark's) photos, sorry Shane buddy.

From 10-1-2008

From 10-1-2008

Matthew and Bridget agreed the best part of church is watching the train go by outside afterward.
From 10-1-2008

Later, we all had a fun time at the Jones' house reception, where I got this photo of the two little sweeties...and their babies, ha ha.
From 10-1-2008

Don't Aunt Erin and Aunt Kim ... respectively holding their niece Amelia and nephew Shane, look proud? They should, these kids are both lookers and both just as sweet as can be. Love you, Jones babies.

That's all. I should probably remove the baby from the swing after 2 hours, don't you agree? Especially given I've listened to her cry for the last few photo-uploads? (One of many differences between first and second kiddos; I'm impervious to guilt crying now.)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Wow, you are being so great with your photo uploads!