Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Takin' Trains, Matthew Style

Around here one of the only "back pocket" moves we have with Matthew is taking his little wooden Thomas trains and placing them on top of the fridge until he's doing Good Boy Things again. If you're at our house and you hear, "Okay, do I have to take a train?" means its either time to eat or time to sleep.

Tonight we've put him to bed, and Rachel's sleeping, and we're finally both sitting down with laptops and some Biggest Loser. And then we hear him in there, "Mommy, Mommy, it's NOT dark outside, it's LIGHT outside ..." which is clearly building his case for the next one, "It's NOT nght night time."

Keep in mind Michael's already been in there twice and I've been in there once to shush him and it's now well after 8 p.m.

So now we're shooting looks back and forth, "Do we go in again? What next?" while all the time, Matthew's in there, "I got poo poos!" and then, "I need a TIS-UUEEEE!" - all his best whoppers - when suddenly my husband's had enough.

He definitely pushes up from the chair and says, "All right, that's it. I'm TAKIN' TRAINS!" to which I cannot help bust out laughing.

I realize it might not translate how funny this was, but imagine Mike doing this in a very serious and semi angry way. In the same tone I might imagine him committing to joining some bar fight back in college..."Ok, that's it, go time, let's DO this thing!!"

So in he went, threatening all sorts of train taking. However, he didn't actually take one because the boy buckled and acted like he'd sleep.

Naturally in a few minutes, he's yelling "Mommy!" again and this time I go in. "Matthew, if you don't go to sleepy, Mom's gonna have to take a train. And I don't want to, I don't like to take trains."

To which he responds, "Yeah, DADDY likes to take trains." Yep, that's your daddy. He used to golf. Now his only hobby left in this world is taking your trains.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That is so funny. I was laughing out loud picturing Michael saying that. Also, Matthew is quite good with his "not dark out" tactic. We haven't hit the stage of taking trains away, but I can guess that it will be effective because as I've mentioned, we just LOVE THOMAS over here.