Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gonna Be A Handful

Several of you have heard me insist that this girl child will be trouble. Partially because Matthew hasn't been (so far ... knock on fake wood desk) and partially because so many sweet good babies seem to have come along in the last few months that I feel they've sucked up all the good baby vibes.

Well, she is already proving me right. Yesterday I learned this little troublemaker has flipped, again, and is now in a frank breech position.

This is better than foot down breech, but still no guarantees that the (what I have already labeled) horrible version procedure would work, if it comes to that.

It might not - she's only 6 lbs and still has lots of fluid to swim around in so flipping again before Monday's appointment isn't out of the question.

Am I crazy to be more scared of someone squeezing my belly and squashing my baby than of an operation? Because right now I'd be tempted to say let's just schedule my c-section and not even go through what frankly, looks like medieval torture just to have a 50/50 chance to flip this kid back.

And if that procedure involves an epidural (some do) then why on earth would I want to go through that and THEN some type of additional birth related pain, section, vaginal or otherwise?

Granted I am giant baby about pain. Maybe it would be fine? Not that bad? Worth it? I don't know yet. But in the meantime, please send me and baby girl 180 degree thoughts this week.

4 comments:

The Fashion Team said...

i can see it now - bridget and her will either be best of friends due to stubborn personality similarities or competitive little head-strong girlies...oh, poor matthew and shane, out numbered AND the girls will totally rule the roost!!

ANYWAY, IF she continues to be stubborn, you can probably guess what my vote would be (hint: it involves no contractions, pitocin or pushing and prodding on a snug baby and her mama's tummy).

i would feel the exact same way about the version - i saw one woman being worked on the day of my scheduled C and it looked pretty GD awful to me - but that's just me. personally, i thought the c-secs weren't that big of a deal and the first couple days that are a little hard you get waited on hand and foot. oops - did i just say all this? no, i didn't, apparently the fashion team did, whew i'm off the hook...

Me? A Mom? said...

As someone who has had six epidurals AND a c-section because of a frank breech baby, my advice is to avoid a c-section at all costs.

My c-section seemed fine before I had anything to compare it to. Once I had a vaginal delivery, I realized how difficult the recovery was. Since you've already had a vaginal delivery, you're not going to like the c-section recovery ESPECIALLY with a toddler to look after.

Ask your doctor is s/he will deliver a frank breech baby vaginally. Some do.

You could consider going to a chiropractor or using a camera flash to try to flip the baby.

I hope for your sake she flips and you avoid both the c-section and the procedure to attempt to turn her.

Sarah Guckes said...

Hoping for a big flip-a-roo from Baby Muldrow!

Kate said...

I bet she flips over, Aim. And I lived through the "C" (It's what the cool kids are calling it. Cool kids being Erin) so don't worry too much about that possibility.