Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Heartwarming Sibling Moments #1 and 2 Down, 999,998 to Go

Last night, Matthew and I were comparing belly buttons. Why, you don't? And instead of saying "button" and poking mine, he poked it and said... "Baby."

WHAT?

I cannot tell you how many people - who maybe haven't been around not-quite-two-year-olds in a while - have asked me what Matthew thinks about the baby. What baby? He knows less than nothing about the baby. He knows one baby and his name is Baby (even though it's William) and he's our neighbor who our nanny Libby also cares for. That's The One Baby of the World.

But with everyone asking, we both felt the need to make lame attempts to teach Matthew about the baby, is there a baby in mommy's tummy? there's a baby in here! etc. Maybe 2 or 3 times. I got embarrassed. Who are we kidding? I felt as dumb as when I try to talk to to the baby in my belly (anyone out there good at that? I feel like a weenie).

Anyway, when the other night happened it reminded me that toddlers are never not listening. They are always, thrillingly and terrifyingly, taking. every. word. in. As evidenced by his also proudly exclaimed "SHIT! SHIT!" tonight after hearing his Daddy loudly struggling with something in the kitchen. But I digress...

Moment #2 was tonight. We're reading something with a baby. I decide to capitalize, pat my tummy and ask what's in there. He says baby, poking my belly button and leaning down for a peek in. Then we talked about, The baby's hungry! The baby needed uppies! And that the baby needed crackers!

I needed a video camera and a Mensa application. I don't care that he can't read yet. HE IS MY BABY GENIUS.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Of course Matthew is smart. How could he NOT be? And so sweet too!