Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Good Thing I'm a Little Lazy and Clueless

Whenever my kiddos were sick, someone invariably tells me to rub Vick's VapoRub on their chest. They assume since I'm a mom that I have some.

I always play along because I want them to think I do. Because that would make me a proper mom. You know, with medical stuff stocked carefully and readily available in our medicine cabinets like neosporin, and cartoon band-aids, and wraps, and children's cold medicine.

But I'm always living I lie. I have hardly any of this stuff. Okay, I've got lots of crusty, crystallized infant Tylenol drops ... but those are probably 2 1/2 years old from Matthew!

I do also have the toddler cold medicine ... the stuff you aren't/are in moderation/AREN'T EVER (??!?!?!?!) supposed to give little kids. And any of it I DO have is never where I think it is so I always end up buying more, then finding the half empty old one the next day.

I think I have neosporin but you know what? I don't even know yet what cuts and scrapes quality for that. He's had a few, but I've never used it once. I DID finally get him Thomas-themed Band-Aids in his stocking. But arguably this is, of course, the LEAST necessary of any items I've mentioned ...

So I guess I don't really know the "mom rules" about first aid, even though that was one of my mom's best areas (okay, she's a nurse). I'm hoping this knowledge magically kicks in at some point, because I know when I was seven, my mom knew EVERYTHING about making me better.

Anyway, apparently like many things in life ... procrastinate long enough and it's no longer a problem. Because - just like it's cherry-flavored toddler cold medicine cousin before it - Vick's is now out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Whenever I try to be supermom and stock up on all that stuff, it ends up expiring in my medicine cabinent anyhow.

In fact, I DO have some Vics vapo rub on heand, but it expired in the 90s. I still use it...

Kate said...

Whatever. That news story bugged me because dude, you're not supposed to put it up your nose. You're also not supposed to give it to kids under 2. Read the label, jackasses.

Aimee said...

Yeah but everyone does.

Kate said...

Everyone puts it in their infants' nose? Nobody reads the label? I suppose these are the same people giving their infants cold medicine then?

Aimee said...

I don't know about who puts it in their noses. But most people I know have used Vicks with little little kids. And the cold medicine too, at least until recently - and some still are. I generally do stuff until my ped tells me no - and I usually don't have that convo until I see something in the news to prompt me to ask. From there, what she says goes and sometimes that's over/under the label precautions.

erindelanty said...

Personally my doc always let us give her stuff under two with modifications - both vics and cough medicine. In fact, my doc's still fine with cough medicine and thank goodness cause I love how much it helps them. I can tell she thinks a lot of the alarm comes from not following directions and things being sensationalized in the media.

ps - I'm exactly the same way about the 47 half sticky bottles of tylenol/motrin. Needed one last night and found one under the changing table partially opened. Totally used it, too.

Also, does everyone wash off the dropper thing after each dose? That drives me crazy cause you have to give two droppers for one dose and am I supposed to run to the bathroom and wash it off before giving the second dropper? Seems very inefficient, but if not aren't you just putting germys right in the bottle? (Also, germys is so an official term.)

Aimee said...

I've never understood the rules on this one and I'm very inconsistent. I definitely don't between doses ... but that makes sense and I now realize if I'm not doing that, what's the point of doing it after the second one? Which I do sometimes, not others. So basically I have no clue (back to my original blog post title)

Kate said...

Exactly Erin: The media sensationalizes it. It was a lame story IMO.

Aimee said...

Wow I never thought we'd still be talking about this. Yeah I'd agree this stuff gets overblown, but I still don't have a problem hearing about it and then just asking my doc. I've asked about vaccines, cold meds, all the media buzz stuff. Then I can feel better once she poo poos it all!