Saturday, April 5, 2008

P.S.

What I "forgot" to post from Tuesday's joyous doctor appointment is that we'll be watching this pregnancy verrrryyyy closely for signs of pre-eclampsia. My labs never showed it, but my doctor's marked my file as though I was with Matthew. Between the swelling, the pressure, the low fluid and his small size (6 lb 5 oz) they feel something wasn't working right with my placenta.

So this time the Rx will be:
Take my b.p. daily at home and log it
Monthly ultrasounds to check baby's growth and my fluid
Keep my weight down - aiming for 25 lb weight gaiHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No really (wiping eyes) I think they were serious.

Wish they would have mentioned that BEFORE I bought the Mrs. Smith's Deep Dish Cherry Crumb Topping pie last Sunday. (Cara, I think you have an affinity for the cherry crumb desserts? Girl, I'm gonna have to put one in your mailbox.)

Nothing to worry about - our baby girl looked perfect. And pre-eclampsia while common in first time moms (1 in 10) is far less so in second timers. And I've lost weight, AND they're gonna monitor me closely. "Put me in a safety net" was the comforting term actually. But it was still a little sobering to hear phrases like "hopefully we can avoid bedrest" or "if we'd have to put you on bedrest..."

AH! You cannot use these words to (a) someone who barely got away from work for today's appointments and between now and birth has multiple website phases to launch and project plans to accomplish, or (b) TO ANY MOM OF ANY KID because funny, toddlers just don't seem to have that healthy respect for mommies who can't get up to get them milkies on demand.

We're fine, it's fine. I am just remotivated to watch diet, try to get outside once it's nice and exerBWAHAHAHAHAHA! sorry, WHEW!

The point is, I am motivated to take maybe a bit better care of myself than maybe I was earlier in this pregnancy. When maybe I was being a bit of a lax, second-timer mom. (I KNOW this must be normal.) When maybe I was sneaking in the second and even third cup of coffee (now it's one). And was seeing most meals as an opportunity to defy the logic of calories in, baby needs 300, where do the other 1500 from my Red Robin burger and milkshake GO? game. And I had noticed my water had dropped from my superstar 8 glasses a day on WW, to maybe 3-4.

So now I'm committed to manage my weight gain really closely, and that way if genetics foils me again and I DO get pre-eclamptic or something like it, I don't have to feel guilty. Or not too guilty (let's not talk about that cherry pie).

2 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

Hopefully all the precaution will be for nothing and you'll have a perfectly functioning placenta and low blood pressure! Fingers crossed!

erindelanty said...

I'm sure you'll be fine, too, but it's always nice to be on the safe side! And hey what a bonus, monthly ultrasounds!

ps - That was really funny to read - I laughed outloud a couple of times! :)